He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Saturday, February 28, 2004

A sweetness to the soul



I bought a book because of the title: A Sweetness To the Soul. Most of the time I choose a book because of the picture on the cover. Usually the book isn't to my liking. I need to practice the old wive's tale; never judge a book by it's cover. But this book called out to me. I had to have it. I brought it home with me and took it out of the bag as soon as possible. It is a very good historical novel.

I yearn for a sweetness to my soul. My heart cries out for it. The author, Jane Kirkpatrick, chose her title from this Bible verse:

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but it is abomination to fools to depart from evil. Proverbs 13: 19 kjv

The living translation words it this way:

It is pleasant to see dreams come true, but fools will not turn from evil to attain them.

Desire accomplished seems stronger than dreams come true. I have dreams but I also have desires. To me the words are totally different. The Webster dictionary defines desire as a thing wished for and defines dream as a fond hope. I consider the word desire used in a christian text as a much stronger word than fond hope. Proverbs 13:12 states; Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life. That is a strong statement.

Another verse that her book is based on is:

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

Such wonderful words from my Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home