He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Saturday, December 31, 2005



Thanks to all for the birthday greetings. They gave me great pleasure.

It is 7:30 New Year's Eve and another year of my life has passed. I am a half a century old. It is hard for my mind to accept that I am 50 years old. Most women have told me that they were upset when they turned 30 years old. My thirtieth birthday didn't phase me a bit. Nor my thirtyfifth.

But when I turned forty I cried. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt like my life had ended. I feel it more now. I had dreamed of doing so many things with my life. But I was very naive. My parents didn't tell me about looking before you leap into marriage. K and I didn't really discuss what we wanted out of life before we married. Later I learnt K didn't want me to do more than be a wife and mother. When I tried to explain to him that I wanted to go back to school he said no and I didn't force the issue. He didn't feel the need to help me fulfill my dreams or understand that I even had things that I wanted to accomplish.

For years I tried to figure out what to do; how to make changes. Slowly, I let life and feelings drain out of my heart. I stopped trying. I have existed but I have not lived for a long time. Today, I have thought about my life and what I feel I have missed. I still wonder what could have been if I had made other decisions.

I am on the road to recovery. I feel it in my heart. I sat outside today and felt the warmth of God's love touching me. It is a wonderful feeling.

********************************************************

Fear thou not, O Jacob my servant, saith the Lord: for I am with thee; for I will make a full end of all the nations whither I have driven thee, but I will not make a full end of thee, but correct thee in measure; yet will I not leave thee wholly unpunished. Jeremiah 46:28

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. Psalm 43:5

4 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GB was 58 years old, when she got her 4 year degree. There is still time for you. Yes, she had a two year degree which she got ten years earlier, but she went back to school full time, at a different college in another state. She attended school with many much youger students, but about 20% of students were older who had gone back to school after years of working. It's never too late!! GB paid as she went, but there is financial aid for those who can't work while attending.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

And it took GB almost 10 years to get that first 2 year degree. She got the next one much more quickly. GB only gets better as she gets older.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually it took 7 years for the associates degree, but that was long enough. Of course, she was working full time then.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Quilty bird said...

And there are lots of things you can do that don't involve college first. QB's friend DustyBird retired at 55 and started Firehouse Quilts shortly thereafter. The "why" is a long story, but the "what" is inspiring.

DustyBird had never been to college. She just decided she wanted to provide comfort quilts to local children effected by disasters. She started with simple ads in the local paper and quilt shops looking for like-minded women. They began meeting monthly at the LQS to sew blankies.

As more people joined and she needed more supplies than just what people donated, she learned to write grant requests. Then, she needed tax-exempt status to get some of the larger grants. Ok, so she (with some help from QB) muddled through the paperwork to incorporate and get tax-exempt status.

Now the group was too large for the LQS and she needed a bigger place to meet. Phone calls, letters, etc. and she got a spot at the local rec center twice a month.

Well, QB won't go into any more detail, as she believes the moral of the story is there. To do something worthwhile, you just need to DO something! Start with a small step and go from there. All the birds will be cheering you along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home