He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I have been hoping my memory was going to start improving. I had assumed I guess that one of my pills was going to do the trick and jump start my brain or what ever is connected to the part that controls my memory. But no I am still having problems.

Yesterday, I went to the diabetic clinic for my class on lowering my blood sugar. I left the house at 8:30 a.m. to get there for a ten o'clock class with the dietitian. When I signed in the nurse couldn't find my appointment. She pulled my name up on the computer and informed me I was scheduled for the one o'clock class. I told her the person I had talked to on the phone had told me to come in for the first class at ten. She politely explained to me that the class was for controlling your sodium and I am suppose to learn how to count carbohydrates. Well, I checked my calendar when I got back home and yes I had wrote down one o'clock. Why I was thinking ten a.m. I don't know.

When I put something on to cook, I have to set the timer to help me remember I have something on the stove. Today, I decided to boil some eggs. I filled the pan with water, set it on the hot burner and put in the eggs. For some reason I got side tracked and forgot I had put the eggs on to cook before I even left the kitchen and I didn't set the timer. The only thing that prevented a castastrophy was I went back to the kitchen to get a glass of water and was surprised to find a pan of eggs boiling away on the stove. The pan was almost empty of water. This is one time I had to thank God for my dry mouth. This memory problem is very scary and upsetting to me.

Now added to my list of things to remember is eating. Not just putting food in my mouth; but putting a certain kind, a certain amount, at a certain time. It is too much for my addled brain. I am used to going hours, sometimes a whole day without eating. And when I did eat, it was usually a piece of meat with a salad. Sometimes I eat a piece of meat with cooked vegetables. I love oranges so I usually eat one while K eats his "dessert" at night. He loves his sweets. I don't eat much and now I am being told to make myself eat every two to three hours.

This is quite an interesting challenge. Trying to find enough carbohydrates that I want to eat that equals l65 grams is hard. You would think, wow, what a blessing! It is not easy because I also have to count fat grams because of my high blood pressure.

I have to say that this is the first day in a long time that I haven't yawned from the time I woke to the time I went back to bed. I would never have guessed that the food I ate or rather didn't eat was the cause.

I am up to the challenge though because the other good thing about today is I feel great! It is also the first day in a long time that I haven't felt tired. So I know that counting carbs is a very good thing for me.

2 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

Oh, I am so glad that you've found a diet that makes you feel better! That's great!

Sorry your memory has not improved. You are going to have to compensate for it. To balance your sugar levels, you'll have to keep a paper and pen in the kitchen next to a clock (preferably one with the date, too) and write down the food before you eat it. (Wait till you're done and you'll forget.)

I do this with medicines. I can go to take an Advil for a headache and then can't remember if I took it or not. Sometimes right away I can't recall! I now leave scrap paper and pencil in the bathrooom and write down what I take while the pill is still in my hand. Lands sake. And I don't have thyroid problems to blame! So I'll blame pre menopause. :-)

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Mrs. P said...

You know me all ready. I have forgotten to write some of my foods down.

I am glad that I discovered my pan of eggs before they disappeared!!!

Sorry for the faux pas in Bird Land, I should have said I was eating fish eggs. tee-hee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home