He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Monday, May 09, 2005

I was up at 5:30 so I could leave the house at six. I wanted to get to the lab at the charity hospital early because I was having the three hour glucose test this morning. And I was the first one there so they called me first. But it wasn't for the test. It was to inform me that the three hour test was for pregnant women only and they would have to contact the doctor and let him choose another option. She told me the doctors wouldn't be in their office until nine and asked me if I wanted to wait or come back later. She asked me this at 7:30 this morning. It is a fortyfive minute drive from the house so I told her I would wait.

Thank goodness, the pathologist came to the lab at 8:30 and said to do the two hour glucose test. First, I had to have a blood test done to make sure I could drink the glucose. That meant another wait for the blood test results. At 9:35, I was called to the lab to drink the nasty tasting glucose. I was afraid I was going to vomit it all back up. Ugh! It didn't sit too quietly on an empty stomach. She told me to come back at 11:40 for the blood test and if I threw up to let them know. I went to the parking lot and sat in the car and read and tried to keep my stomach calm.

I headed back to the lab at 11:30 with all the glucose still in me. They called my name and stuck me again. I tried to get the lady to use the other arm because very few can get blood without bruising me. I already had a bruise from that morning and she chose to use the same arm. She stuck the needle in about three inches below where she had drawn blood earlier and oh how it hurt. She got blood and did some damage because by the time I got home I had a big tender lump and purple bruise. It was painful to move my arm for a couple of hours. The swelling has gone down but I still look like I have been at war.

Thanks everyone for the mother's day wishes. I am still slow in reaction but yes I did think of ya'll yesterday and said prayers for everyone. I just didn't go online and write them out. I am putting them in writing now. I hope everyone enjoyed yesterday as I did.

3 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had such a difficult time getting your tests!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

Oh, what an awful experience!

Many moons ago, I had a 6 hour glucose tolerance test. The hardest part for me was the fasting! You must have been starving what with them making you wait so long to even begin the test.

I remember being so glad to finally get to drink the glucose -- I was so hungry! The lab tech told me that only people with a low blood sugar problem like that stuff. I think your reaction to the glucose drink is much more typical.

It was rude of the tech to not use the other arm when you asked her to. Mrs. P, you need to start using that assertiveness! Fortunately your arm will heal, but next time don't take "no" for an answer! We birds will support you!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Mrs. P said...

All that glucose sloshed around in my empty stomach. Awful, awful stuff!

Yes, that is an interesting article. I walk thirty minutes or more every day. That is really the only thing I have stuck with over the years. It is a true pleasure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home