He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Tomorrow morning is my weekly visit to the psychologist. My homework was to add to the list of pleasant activities we started during my last visit. I told her everything that at one time I had enjoyed doing but she felt that I needed to add other things. But all I had really enjoyed doing was reading, crocheting, sewing, birdwatching, gardening, walking, cooking, watching movies, traveling, and blogging. Well, let's say that is all I have done for most of my life; except for blogging, that is a new one. She has suggested that I think of things that gave me pleasure when I was younger. I need to find things that I can do that will help restore my happiness. And I need to do at least one thing every day that will make me feel good about myself.

I did not realize how hard that is to do. While I was on my trip, I felt good every day. (Except I refused to be in any pictures that were taken.) Since I have been home, I have become a couch potato again. I force myself to get up and do things and I end up sitting down again. I do my walking, I force myself to eat something, and I make my bread. The other activities are hard to get done. I am still crocheting on the afghan, but very little. Most of the time it is just laying on my lap. I have bought books and I do read but it doesn't hold my attention as long as it used to do. I have no desire to cook anymore. K eats a lot of sandwiches or take-out.

She said to force myself; that is easier said than done.

************************************************************************************

Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go. O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea: There is no peace, saith the Lord, unto the wicked.
Isaiah 48:17-18, 22

4 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

I have some suggestions!

Didn't you say you used to hula hoop? I just read in a health column that you can get quite a workout with a hula hoop. They make them slightly weighted and I think you can get videos on arm movements you can add. I'll post a link if I find them, but it might be more fun to pick up a kiddie one at Toys R Us and just do what comes naturally!

How about asking a neighbor to walk with you? There might be someone not far from you who is lonely or has been thinking about walking and just needs to be asked!

I think your hobbies are great! Maybe you could blog more about what you do each day, as a way to do one hobby (blogging) while keeping track of the others!

Can you get books on tape from your library? I love to listen to a good story while crocheting -- as long as the pattern isn't too tricky. Audio books also make driving more pleasant.

I do think the key, though, is to find some companions. Probably what cheered you up during your trip was the company. While you're searching for friends or even just walking partners (or crocheting/sewing partners), the birdies would be glad to be your audience and cheer you on!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

Here's one hula hoop called Heavy Hoop.

And here's another called Sports Hoop. (This web site loads very slowly.)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Mrs. P said...

Wow, what fun! I did not know there was an excersise program for the hula hoop! I will be adding that to my daily routine. Thanks!!! And I definitely need a cheering section; Birdies shake your pom-poms!!!!

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how elusive pleasure can be, isn't it? Sounds like seeing a pysch. is a bold and courageous step in the right direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home