He Is Faithful That Promised

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrew 10:23

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Another wonderful weekend, I am so glad. This month we have had daily afternoon showers. It is great for everyone who has a garden but you have to be mindful when planning your activities for the day. There is usually lightening and thunder involved with the scattered showers.

This past tuesday I went on my first field trip with my class. We went to mcdonald's for ice cream. I was very nervous the whole time. There were two adults for ten three year olds, thankfully four of my kids were absent. Everything went surprisingly well. Only a few argued wanting more than just ice cream. I am still not ready to take them bowling which is the field trip scheduled for the 22nd.

I read this story on the msn homepage. I couldn't understand why the author did not mention the safety of the other children attending the preschool. Or the trouble that a preschool could be in if the child that ran away from the preschool was hurt. There is so much to consider when a decision has to be made about a child being expelled.

By the time the children in our daycare are three and four they are suppose to understand that biting and hitting are unacceptable. This article states that "biting and hitting are minor issues." I don't agree because at this age they draw blood when they bite and the parents of the child that is bitten are very upset. I get upset because we teach our toddlers not to bite in anger and then older children start our preschool and they are still biting when they get mad. They do not get expelled the first time they bite another child.

Our preschool has expelled children but it is after a conference with the parents, teacher, and director asking the parents to work with us on what is causing the problem. One child was expelled after the third time he picked up a chair and threw it across the room because he didn't want to do what the teacher was telling him to do. I don't think any child of four should be allowed to do this and the other children in the classroom had to be protected.

I have noticed that each year a larger percentage of children have behavioral problems. They don't think they should have to do what they are told. I have to argue with this year's group of three and four year olds all day. Not exactly argue, I mean I can't just tell them to do something, I have to make them do it. They think I am the one who is suppose to do what they tell me to do. Putting them in time out does not get the message across that I am the adult and they are the children. My other group had only two children that thought they should be the adult.

I may be saying everything in a way you don't understand and I hope you don't take offense to what I have written. I know words come out of my brain scrambled sometimes.

3 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger Granny Bird said...

You are correct Mrs. P!

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Granny's Daughter said...

Mrs. P, when my daughter started in a pre-school, the rule was that a biter was immediately removed from the room and then sent home. The shock of being removed, sitting in the office, and being taken home early by a parent usually cured the biting problem. Or at least what they told us parents. We were fortunate not to have a biter.

I agree with you, that the author downplayed too much the safety of the other children -- who knows what disease that biter is carrying -- and the safety of the runaways.

If these kids need "special" programs, then that's where they belong. If they will outgrow it in a year, then keep them home for a year.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

Sadie and I had a similar conversation last night and came to this conclusion: people are having children, but not raising them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home